Dental Crowns & Bridges
What is a crown?
A dental crown is a tooth coloured cap which is placed over your natural tooth.
It is a permanent fixed solution which should preserve your natural tooth underneath, this should feel natural, be functional and look like a normal tooth.
Do I need a dental crown?
You may need a dental crown if you experience any of the following symptoms.
A worn or damaged tooth
Severe tooth decay
Brittle or cracked tooth
Discoloured or misshapen teeth.
Follow on treatment after a root canal treatment
What is a dental bridge?
· A dental bridge is a permanent solution for missing teeth. It can replace missing teeth without having surgery.
· It consists of a false tooth with 2 or more full coverage crowns on teeth either side of the missing tooth.
The benefits of having a dental bridge.
· Having a dental bridge means you can have the confidence to smile again.
· Prevent food from trapping therefore preventing tooth decay.
· Replacing a missing tooth can also protect your other teeth and prevent them from tipping over into the space, or moving into the space, changing your bite.
The cons of having a dental bridge.
· The cost of a dental bridge is more than having dentures.
· Will need to replace in about 7 - 10 years.
· Have to file down adjacent teeth to attach a dental bridge.
· A dental bridge doesn't take into account mouth changes like bone loss or gum recession.